Swimming In Sound (Vol. 1)
Until I figure out how to proceed with the music podcast idea that I’ve been playing around with I’ll share some music finds via playlists with you. I hope you enjoy the selection!
1. “City by the Sea” by Chris Kasper is a brand new track from his new album coming early 2017. This song completely embodies the effortless relaxing feel of living in a, as the title states, city by the sea. “Say you love, oh, say you’ll let me be.”
2. “Stupid Love” by Ben Arnold is just an example of one of the many gems found on Arnold’s current release Lost Keys.
3. “Hard Times Don’t Come” by Son of Dov is the final track off of the Night Vision (EP) with its beautiful songwriting, bold message, and brilliant musical sound. Is that a mandolin I hear? Sure, keep my ears guessing—I love it.
4. “Over You Over Me” by Alright Junior off their unreleased album, Inhibition, coming October 1st. This track is exemplary of Alight Junior’s unrelenting rock spirit that is always appreciated.
5. “Jungles” by Archawah from the latest EP Archawah 2 gives us sincere singing dipped in eclectic soundscapes and a great jam.
6. “All I Ever Wanted From You” by Val Emmich is the closing track on Whatever’s Chasing You, Emmich’s newest album. Val Emmich is an exceptional singer-songwriter and this chorus go straight to the point “All I ever wanted from you / Was a little itty-bitty thank you / All I ever wanted from you / Was just a little something to prove / That you cared too”. I can feel the emotion!
7. “Ambo” by The Album Leaf can be found on the deluxe release of Between Waves through the Philly based label, Relapse Records. I was fortunate enough to catch The Album Leaf’s show at Johnny Brenda’s last week and it was incredible. I like how this tracks takes me back to In A Safe Place, the first The Album Leaf album I ever heard. Good memories.
8. “Shine” by Mondo Cozmo is another cherished single from this new music chapter. Have you seen the video for “Hold On To Me”? Awe-inspiring. Can’t wait to see/hear what’s next.
9. “Shenandoah” by Mason Porter is simply another great song by one of my favorite bands. Mason Porter have perfected their take on the bluegrass/Americana sound and it is beautiful.
10. “4 Mile Creek” by Todd Barneson from Lay Low makes an awesome outro that will get you moving. I bet you can’t sit still while listening to this one.
11. “Spirit” by Amos Lee is the title track from the album of the same name. Like a lot of Amos Lee’s songs this one holds a lot of hope and warmth. Amazing. By the way, did you see Amos Lee at the Academy of Music a few weeks ago? Phenomenal performance, indeed.
12. “A-Frame” by Square Peg Round Hole off of Juniper is a song from a band that isn’t afraid to explore and experiment with sound who make some wonderful creations along the way.
13. “Patience To Undo the Patience” by Psalmships is sonically an epic tale between the darkness and the light with lyrics providing much of the same yet there is hope in that confident and commanding voice. Hauntingly good.
14. “Into The Storm” by BANNERS is a new single released this past Friday. I first heard BANNERS’ “Start A Riot” on AltNation near the beginning of this year. I became a fan immediately. I was fortunate enough to see BANNERS at The Foundry during AltNation’s Advance Placement Tour this past March. BANNERS is a great singer-songwriter and that voice is an undeniably beautiful instrument. Some days I sit and listen to “Ghosts” on repeat because I just can’t get enough.
15. “Americana Dream” by Firekid an artist who I was first introduced to when they opened for Kaleo at The Foundry this past February. Good sound and an interesting use of outdated video game systems. If you like what you hear you can catch Firekid at MilkBoy Philly on Wednesday, October 5th. I want to go to there.